outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, June 05, 2006

I forgot to mention Peter

my day security house guard. I should say "our" because Peter and Joseph guard the complex of five flats and look after the general security down our end of the campus. Until security guards were put on duty there were holdups on the campus and this was happening until 2 or 3 years ago. On Saturday I went in to the Lae Inter to help set up for the Rotary Ball but it was all done. So I did some shopping and went to catch a PMV back to Eriku. On reflection I think this must have been my first time into Lae on a Saturday because most of the PMVs were going to Market. One kind lady with a child tried to help me and then finally a young lady of say about 20 said here's one over the road come, you'll get it. So I got on and sat next to her. To show I appreciated her kindness I said I would pay her fare and she accepted. Then the buscrew collected the money and the quizical look he gave me when I handed over the kina and said tupela. He looked at me, a 57 yr old guy and this young attractive 20 yr old and I could tell what he was thinking. I felt embarrassed for me but moreso for the young lady. What ever I could have said would have been misinterpreted so I said nothing and I got off the PMV at Eriku as quickly as I could and disappeared onto a Unigate bus.

2 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home