outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, June 01, 2006

if I can finish my assignment

with only second hand accounts of rascol and criminal activity then I should count myself blessed. I went in to Eriku yesterday to get money to pay my haus meri and at Kamkumung we turned at the Butibum road where I reflected about the dynamite incident of the previous week on that road and M's recount of the previous night about being held up by the 10 gun wielding rascols on the airport road. This morning a mate sent me this clipping from the Post Courier: "Too many times, stupid youths storm buses and take advantage of women travelling on their own and steal their bags and harass them. Recently, a female had her bag snatched in the bus when a group of youths, with knives, got into a bus at Koki and threatened her. None of the passengers were prepared to help for obvious reasons." So, if a stolen mobile phone and two sores' having left purplish scars on my legs are what I leave here with then what have I to complain about?
Weak earth tremors had been regular in Lae -three, four times a day - for about a month before the volcano and the earthquake in Java. I assume the earthquake happened at the weakest point on the fault line on which we had been experiencing tremors.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home