outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, May 29, 2006

Vegemite and Tomato drought

hits the supermarkets of Lae. Who ever would've thought there could be such a thing. So it helps to have friends for when I mentioned this startling fact to N yesterday, as if by magic he produced a jar of Vegemite which was surplus to his current requirements. What is it about the stuff that is so distinctively Australian? I took some over to the USA about 10 years ago and gave it to several of the classes I was teaching but not one single one of them liked it. I think perhaps the colour might have put some off but they complained mostly that it was too salty. N told me the tomatoes are at the markets but they are not available yet in sufficient quantity for bulk supplies to the s'markets. R has just been in to follow up from the Balladoran story and told me he enjoyed more than his share at the Drover's Dog at Eumungerie. Wattle doesn't grow out at Bourke but it's alive around Bally and so when Dad came back from His parents 50 Wedding he brought me some wattle so I could take it to school for show and tell.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home