outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, May 26, 2006

dynamite on Butibum road

I was just recounting my story about feeling threatened at Eriku yesterday to P - and he is another who has helped me before to get out of Eriku - and he told me about yesterday on the Butibum road some raskols held up a car with dynamite. It didn't go off and the raskols ran off but the driver gave chase and caught one and took him to Kamkumung where he was beaten probably until near death and saved by the grace of someone who had rung the police. I told him about the kid about 12 years old with a bag of Cambridge cigarettes - looked to be about 40 packets, value say K200. He told me what they do is collect empty packets and the cellophane wrapping and stuff them with paper and reseal the celophane and then sell the finished product. I was concerned with the young kid's having a marketable product which anyone could have stolen from him. Now I am confused - were there cigarettes in those packets? Or was it a K200 con? They have all been saying today that it is best to avoid doing shopping on the Wed,Thurs and Friday of payweeks because that is when the thieves know there is money around to be stolen. Lesson understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home