outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, May 26, 2006

the bamboo drummers

from Bougainville whom we met in PMoresby at the Comfort Inn. What a contract to the low lifes hanging around Eriku yesterday afternoon. One bloke had stuff pinched from his car and I was hanging on to my bag with strap around my neck and my fist wrapped tightly arond the handle. I wanted to wait for a direct bus to Unigate but a good man Enoch succoured me and we travelled home together via Kamkumung. He told me to get out of Eriku - its not worth waiting for a direct ride. I don't normally like going to Kamkumung as it seems out of the way but in comparison to Eriku it is a restful paradise. There was a fight going on just behind the bus stop area and low life thieves were trying to eye contect me to distract me while their unseen mate was ready to go for my pocket. There just seems to be a disproportionate number of low lifes because most of the people I meet are honourable as you would expect. This gives context to the slogan, "PNG, Land of the Unexpected."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home