outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

o rose, thou art sick

the invisible worm that flies in the night in the howling storm, seeks out thy bed of crimson joy and his dark secret love does thy life destroy. In thinking about contextualisation of the Language syllabus here, I wondered how this Donne poem compared with this local version: "Woman you starve me, woman you dream of me, woman you long for me, woman you sing my name, woman you want me. You undress - I nam happy, You show your life - I am happy, You dress again - I starve, You go to the bush - I go to the bush, You stay at home - I stay at home. Night comes - I am happy, Night comes and we talk, Night comes - you hold my penis, My friend stands - you satisfy it, An excellent food - delicious!"
Instructional designing is about paedagogy rather than subject content and therefore I need to work with people who know the context of their subject. I can't write the subject because my content knowledge is limited in terms of resources, environment and syllabus. It is important that students learn the idiom and vernacular of their language. Why should Donne's awareness of the same thing be the only one that is appreciable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home