outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, May 18, 2006

I've just come back

from a seminar with the Architecture and Building dept. I did a powerpoint presentation of what is involved in writing for distance learning students - the need to think in terms of the student rather than the subject which is common in education now anyway and to write in such a way that the student studying in isolation is not hindered in any way from not being in face to face contact with the teacher and other class members. I still do not read any great enthusiasm with lecturers to externalise their courses and this is very frustrating. So if we get the Adult Matriculation courses rewritten now that the boss says we can get typists and teachers to help well that might be all that i can achieve up here. I'm starting to wonder whether this organisation really does appreciate the personal costs of someone prepared to give up Australia, friends and family to help out. We were warned it would be a challenge and over the last week I am realising what a challenge. Yesterday the Pro VC held a conciliation meeting between my boss and myself after we had both said some pretty ordinary things. I gave a good serve and I think he shot back a pretty reasonable forehand volley. Probably call it even but he had the home ground advantage so I didn't want to push my luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home