outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, May 12, 2006

Am i sure i'm a leftie?

What if I'm not a leftie or even a bleeding heart? What if I'm a radical neo-con? Oh please, what is happening to me? I'm going through this crisis of conscience where stuff happens. Like I was thinking about the Least Developed Status and I thought, "Ok, so you want to live tribal and own the land I drive my car on (hypothetically as I don't have a car) and not alienate the land to the State for the common good and charge me for driving over your land, well OK you do that. In return I'll charge you delivery price without economies of scale for your car and TV and phone and electricity and bottled beer and medical treatment and the air you breathe for not dying at age 38 as your tibal system allows you to do. A country has to decide what it wants to be - a group of traditional societies living traditionally or a State embracing modernity. If it doesn't want modernity then it can do without my stolen mobile phone, my haus meri can do without my employment and she can eat kaukau and pigs jowls, it can do without vegemite and toilet paper and aeroplane trips to visit wontoks and it can do without condoms and AIDS treatments. Furthermore it can do without the tax money that Australians DONATE - $800 million each year. Perhaps some hacker has got into my blog to write this. I'm sure these aren't my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home