outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the professor and I

met this morning in response to my letter yesterday to the VC. The VC asked the prof to handle the matter on his behalf so he heard me out, just getting more facts that I had not detailed in the letter. I value highly the prof as he has always made himself available to me - unlike the scammer who walked away from me yesterday. I told him I was here to do a job to get university level courses out to the people who can help the development of this country and its people and that is what I want to do. If the university doesn't want me to do this job any more then it can pay out my contract and I will go over to Darfur. I told him that the problem wasn't interested in my work otherwise he would have done something and would not have let this issue reach this head. I told him that if the scammer offered me his hand in apology I would refuse to take it and I would tell him he's got a lot more work to do than that to restore the lost respect I have for him. I told him that the problem's mind is not on the job, that he was a big noter who fancied himself being in politics or else in the VC's chair and that his mind was on the 7Habits programme and politics and the election next year and it was not on the job that he was being paid by this university to do. I pointed to the confidential memo and told the professor that leaders do not make excuses for their inaction and inability. If the problem can't do the job then he ought to be sacked. If his mind is not on the job he ought to be told to get his mind on the job for which he is being paid or get out. We will have a summit meeting tomorrow to try to resolve the issue. The scammer knows this has been going on since January yet he has ignored it. First things first was a 7Habits motto and running scams was more important than looking after the staff who had come here to help his people. That is why he pissed me off. He didn't even practice the rules that his scam taught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home