outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, May 11, 2006

I had about fifty emails

in my microsft outlook intray about half of which were - why is this font stuck on courier - I like Ariel - anyway half of which were viruses ah there goes I've got Ariel back. I'm not sure what ariel says about my personality - a sans serif font. I wonder if it means I'm like Meursault? Anyway after leaving the m'soft outlook open all day it downloaded about a week's worth of emails. The viruses were strangling the emails trying to get through. A bit like Norm Russell an electrician mate who told the little old lady with a power problem that there was a stuck electron. I've had a successful resolution to my relationship problem. I was going to start off a memo, "Management by writing memos and leaving in pigeon holes is considered the least effective management tool. It sends the message that the manager is weak and not sufficiently mature for leadership and is frightened to confront a problem." I showed my intentions to a mate and I took his advice that it was too confrontational and shortly after I hand delivered the memo I got a positive outcome. My job description has still not been satisfactorily determined but following an all day meeting of senior management I think I am reasonably confident we can get something organised for the better education of the people of this country. It's great to have people to help you along. If I'd chosen my way I'd have been too confrontational and without meaning to be too immodest, the people who matter would be no nearer getting the education they need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home