outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I am at a loss.

I was supposed to be having a meeting this morning to go through a conciliation process. I was snubbed by the Head the other day at which I took offence and wrote to the VC mainly for the purposes of trying to get certainty and clarification of my role. I have literally done nothing for the third day that remotely resembles anything in my job description. So my immediate supervisor and I turned up at the Pro VC's office because he had been asked by the VC to handle the issue. He asked where the Head was and told his secretary to ring and the Head told her to tell the Pro VC to ring him. Apparently the Head thought there was a conspiracy going on and he refused to come to conciliation. So the meeting was cancelled. There is more going on than I am in a positipon to know but I think he has lost his marbles. He's writing these bizarre memos and putting them in pigeon holes rather than approaching people and telling them he had a problem. This is the same bloke that talks about the 7 HAbits of effective people - think win-win, think proactively, own yoiur mistakes, communicate with people, don't blame circumstances or other people. He is the authority figure and I don't consider it to be my role to approach him again as he made sure my approach to him was not welcome the other day. This is all very unpleasant. I'm lucky to have some good colleagues to talk things over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home