outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, May 19, 2006

so what is me?

To continue from what I was saying before, if slacking it around in a tinny after work is not me, then what is me? I think I must get more emotionally uptight than my other AVI and other mates here. I don't know why. They seem to be able to focus on the other from its fascinating perspective but I see the corruption and red betel nut spittle and I smell the smell of the cow bail yards. I also see the Father Stanleys and hear the choir at church and I see the splendour of the humility and cleanness of the congregation and I enjoy the quietness of Peter and Joseph and I hear the early morning chattering of the birds but these marvels which should brighten my day seem to be pushed aside by the negatives. Cynicism and scepticism are destructive forces so what am I to think of this letter to the Editor from the Post C 16 May "We must focus on our education system and educate more people and equally create more employment opportunities so that we can have half the population healthy, educated and determined to rebuild the ruined island of gold floating on the sea of oil. If we don't, we are a failed state."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home