outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, May 19, 2006

they get frustrated too

but they seem to be able to measure and balance things more appropriately than i can. They see the red betel nut spittle and the garbage and they smell the cow bail smell too. Yesterday I was clearly waiting to be served over the road and a bloke came in and put his order in just as if I weren't there. The owner who is one of the nicest and politest people told him he would serve him shortly but that I had priority. I get bothered equally by acts of kindness and graciousness and bullying and filth but my mates seem to be able to notice the bad but focus on the good. I see there is a symposium on Ethics at the Uni of NSW in the July break. I wonder who goes to ethics conferences - people who are already ehtical preaching to the converted or people who would like to give the impression that ethics matters - ie, those for whom it is important to be seen as being concerned about ethics but for whom ethics in practice doesn't matter. See that is cynical. My mates are not like that. They are more bothered about being the best person they can be and for whom everything else is a passing distraction. What would happen to me if I concentrated on being the best person I could be and forgot about everything else? There goes my security blanket.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Naaaaath said...

Right. You may not be a tinny/beer person - BUT WE'RE GETTING YOU OUT FOR ONE PRETTY DAMN SOON ANYWAYS.

Chin up cobber - there's plenty good... you've just got the current raw end of a pointy stick on the work front at the moment.

The past is finite and the future infinite - I like that one by your VC...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home