outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, June 02, 2006

Talking about harsh endeavours

I was reminded of our Christmas lunch at the Lae Inter. The oysters were delicious mind you but I just thought they might have been chilled a little too much to overcompensate for the humidity. Well in other environments you wouldn't have to do that would you. Likewise with the lobster. Normally I would prefer them fresh but these they had to import and owing to plane delays over Christmas the hotel - to be sure it had them on time - had to bring them in earlier than normal and so they were probably out of the water a good six hours longer than they would have been in normal circumstances. As for the champagne, now there's a story in itself. It was chilled correctly so I'm not complaining about that, but in order that it does not go off too quickly in the glass it is served in three quarter sized flutes. Imagine! I came up here to do my charitable good works and to put myself through some sort of penitential misery was an expectation otherwise I would not have come but I just thought that Christmas lobster without caviare was almost like Christmas without Santa Claus and so that's what I found really difficult and that should be part of my story along with my sore legs and my stolen mobile phone. This is a tough life but I want to try to hang in there.

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think yuo are joking - at least I hope you are otherwise you need help brother.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home