outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, June 01, 2006

as for PMV and bus stop crime

I don't mind travelling by PMV - it is part of the cultural experience for which I came. I expected nothing like the reality that PMVs are: Public Motor Vehicle meant for me a government owned enterprise which would be cleaned daily at the depot and mechanically sound and tickets and a regular timetable, and orderly queues for embarking. So PMV travelling is an interesting objective experience. As the Post Courier reported, it can be dangerous though. Last week at Eriku where I felt threatened, a guy was coming towards me and I immediaely brought my hand carry the two loaves of bread up to secure my bag - I had the bag strap around my neck, I was hanging on to both handles with my right hand in front of my chest and my left hand with the bread was hanging on to it as well. He was about to say something to me but as soon as I reacted defensively he backed off. Shortly after Enoch looked after me. Like at the end of last year when again at Eriku a guy with radio up to his ear too much invaded my space and two women told me you come with us. The guy followed us onto the bus and he was still with us past Kamkumung where one of them had to get off. She told her sister to walk me to the security guards at Unigate if necessary. When the guy realised he wasn't going to get a chance to be alone with me he got off the bus. Most people are like Enoch and Peter and the ladies.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home