outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, June 02, 2006

I enjoyed a nice night

in town at a friend's place for dinner and I mentioned about the film rights to my story and they suggested either Billy Connolly or the Williams guy from Good Morning Vietnam or Steve Martin or John Candy if he was still alive. We weren't sure if he died. I thought their personas were more associated in the public's mind with comedy and I felt a serious topic such as the theft of my phone and the scarring from the sores on my legs would be seen as frivolous and the whole point would be missed if it were not treated seriously. One of my friends wondered aloud what was the point of my story and I spoke about the hardship and harsh endeavours of this environment. For example, tonight when we expect to watch Friday night football, it is not certain we will be able to do that as on three occasions out of eight the transmission has been interrupted by either storms or power failure. My friend said "You could be in Popondeta where they only get generator power for three hours per night" and he seemed a bit put out that I seemed to be expecting too much. Well he would think like that wouldn't he - it wasn't his phone that was stolen and it's not his legs that have these two scars, each the size of about half a five cent coin which I can see quite clearly in the mirror - they're on the back of my legs. He thinks I'm too vain and that I need to lighten up a bit.

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pal, you better listen to your friend buddy cause you are way way too uptight. You gotta scar half a nickle big? Man you gotta get serious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home