outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

which brings me back to home

Social welfare policies have been centralised in an attempt at wealth redistribution in Australia. There is now the cargo cult mentality at home that people don't have to do anything and government will look after the social welfare and community needs. "THEY" will fix things. The concept of "YOU and I" as being responsible for community has been forgotten. I tell people, what is the good of the Dept of Community Services or Centrelink at 5.01pm or 10pm or 6.45am? They work from say 8.30 - 5.00pm and if there is a community crisis in the meantime, then go see the Salvos or St Vinnies (somehow Anglicare doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy ring to it).
The lack of real people in our lives is becoming critical. Depression, suicide, internet dating, computer games. Mate, don't tell me your problems. Tell someone who cares. Who's going to listen to you when you need someone who cares? I'm an aussie mate. I'm not a wimp. I been through tough times. Humped me swag. Been at Gallipoli. Been at the Depression. Got me dog. What else does a man need. Go and tell that to the Matthew Talbot Hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home