outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

they tell me out of frustration

Maybe I shouldn't know what I know and as one friend who is in a position to know told me, you only know a little bit. The place is full of rumours and facts so why leadership is not hosing things down is beyond my understanding. It is shattering morale and people talk as one way of getting their sense of hopelessness off their minds. When people talk to an ex-pat like me then things are serious. There is no reason I should be taken into confidence because I can't do anything but people are fed up. They drive on the grass because the roads are in such a state. They hang around. There is a physical absence of leadership. There is no-one around. Soldiers without a General become dispirited, morale drops and the war is lost. I am hanging in because it is my choice. I choose to be here. If I complain then it is only because I complain on behalf of those who deserve better - the students and the staff. They deserve leadership.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home