outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Sunday, October 08, 2006

I'm a very happy blogger...

I feel PNGan again! It rained all last night and I walked from the flat up to the Unigate PMV stop and I stood in the rain and mud and waited for a PMV to come. I was able to get the first one and so for the fifteen minute trip into Eriku there was me and 25 other PNGans travelling together on part of life's journey. We sit on the PMV with seats propped up with a battery and others with milk crates held in place by rubber tyre tubing; the seats are covered with sweat hardened towelling material; the sagging roof upholstery is torn and held together with duct tape; the windscreen is cracked in several places; lais and other floral decorations swing across the windscreen. I feel the excitement of being on guard and the dread of possibly being pick pocketed. I have made it to church. Now I have to get home. There are not many buses at the top town stop. I clutch my bag as a bus comes along. There's a big crowd at Eriku so instead of waiting for a Unigate bus I get one to Kamkumung. I will never again complain about going via Kamkumung. That is five trips I did today. I remember now the feeling of immeasurable relief at having made it back to Unigate. That is what I have missed and that is what I love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home