outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, October 06, 2006

aha, I think I have worked out

why I have been feeling out of ordinary. It is nearly two months since I have had to do my grocery shopping by PMV. I had to take the departmental troop carrier in to Bugandi High to pick up a teacher and I saw the PMV spurting black smoke heading towards me and I realised I was missing the thrill of the PMV ride and the company of the travellers. It is an unpleasant experience to be pickpocketed at the PMV stop but it is a pleasurable experience to sit down next to someone, to be shown which PMV to catch, to be taken under the protection of a traveller, to be given cautionary tales about what to do, to be fussed over by the regular nationals travellers. That's it - I miss being fussed over.
Matt loved the experience of PMV riding. I showed him how to do it the first day and then he went in each time on his own. He couldn't get enough of it in his short stay here. Watch out come Sunday. There I will be at the Unigate at 8.30 trying along with 100 other people to get on the 22 seater, jostling, walking in the puddles, being beaten to a seat by a window climber, being mindful of the mother and child, waiting for the next 22 seater and jostling with the crowd now built up to 120. The thrill of the crush and being with other people. That is what I have missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home