outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Freeee, I am freeee!

I had my blood test for malaria yesterday and I went over to get the results just now and the nurse said it was negative. So I don't know what my niggling headache was yesterday. I was so happy I came back and told my class, "You are looking at the healthiest person in the room. I am freeee!" I love having a bit of a muck around with them. They are good natured 18-19 year olds and they smile politiely and some even are kind enough to LAUGH at my jokes!
I love the smiles of these people. As a group they are so smiley with big wide grins of delight to be alive. That is why it is difficult for them when things go wrong as they have done over the last few weeks. These happy good natured smiling people have been immediately confronted with serious issues. It seems so foreign to the lifestyle of delight.
If I said it before I can't remember but it is worth saying again. I was sitting in the Language staff room the other day and Dr John came in with a bowl of mumu which he had just bought outside at the private stall run by a family in need. "Here Geoffrey, go and get one for you. They are a deserving family and this will help them." He gave me four kina as I did not have my wallet. And they call this an undeveloped country? Smilers all, rejoice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home