outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, October 02, 2006

at a weekend school once

in Sydney for an external studies course (Ancient History) through UNE I met a fellow student who it turned out was a prisoner on day release from Emu Plains. I was going up to Katoomba and we caught the same train. I had a heavy bag and he asked me squash two packets of roll your own tobacco into one. Maybe I should not have aided and abetted (he was only allowed one packet) but I did.
He was wanting to turn his life around. Since about 9 he had decided he wanted to be a criminal. He began by wanting to be respected among the junior criminal gangs. He drank bootpolish and metho to toughen up his stomache and he smoked until he was sick.
Why? It was how he could gain respect and criminal life was a place you could get respect. But can't you get respect in civil society? Why do you have to go in that direction? I corresponded a couple of times but we lost touch. If civil society is pushing people away from it through condoning bullying and not tolerating diversity of opinions and not respecting certain people then it should not be surprised at the consequences it brings on itself. Suicide, people dying alone and unnoticed, loneliness, internet friendships, virtual friendships, reality TV. I worry about the long term community consequences of pushing people to the brink. Will we still have community in 10 years time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home