outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 29, 2006

when they saved Private Ryan

I wonder why they didn't save L/Cpl Ted Farrell as well? Great Uncle Ted whom I knew when I was growing up in Bourke and who later went over to Gilgandra to be close to his sister, my grandmother, Victoria Kate Anderson, in his old age, returned to Australia after the armistice and arrived in Australia 19th August, 1919 - about ten months after the end of the war. Great Uncle Ted had lost his two brothers over there - George (my middle name) was killed in action in March 1917, and Tim (my Father's middle name) died of wounds in May 1918.
The three brothers had service numbers 1919 (Ted); 1920 (Tim); and 1921 (George). I'm sure they must have seen it as some sort of adventure. They were shearers and labourers out around Bourke and Brewarrina in the days of dirt roads and just after the end of the paddle boats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home