outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, September 28, 2006

"Realist" crossed the boundary

between fair comment and bullying and that is not the purpose of allowing comment on my blog. I can take criticism but I am not going to be bullied with stuff like "sad, bitter, twisted, loser, fool." I can take legitimate argument but why someone has to go one step further and put in hateful put-down garbage leaves me perplexed. Hopes for world peace don't seem real high with bigoted clowns not knowing when to keep quiet.

What started it was a continuing statement by me that Mr David Hicks, Citizen of Australia has been accorded none of the respect which democracy preaches and yet we are fighting a war to promote democracy. All along I have said Mr David Hicks, Citizen of Australia might be a little bit different but that puts him in need of support rather than for us to turn our backs on him. Once upon a time we called people witches or we locked them away in asylums or we threw stones at them and taunted them and made them chase us. David Bryant of Port Arthur infamy was probably similar.

That is where we have community breakdown. I don't know, but it strikes me that Mr David Hicks Citizen of Australia was a loner in need of community. It says more about our own lack of humanity that we could allow someone to fall through the safety net of community support.

There are some who would like to return to the days of burning witches - as long as they are not the accused witch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home