outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 29, 2006

I've been feeling really weird

for about a week now. I don't know whether to put it down to the malaria, or the malaria treatment, or to my being concerned about Matthew, or to the irregular weekends that John and I have been working, or to the unsettling circumstances of this week. The funeral of Robin Kiliti, a student from Baiyer who was murdered last Friday was held yesterday and this morning the students will meet to decide whether they return next week.
I wasn't sure what our situation as lecturers was - I turned up in my department on two days and then I thought well if I'm wanted, someone will tell me. I certainly hope the students return next week. It's not as though people are in a daze but we are bewildered. We are not on holidays, we are not on strike, but we are confused. There seems to be very few staff on campus. So much so that yesterday afternoon I myself went into town to get my water bill sorted out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home