outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 29, 2006

I am not only fascinated by the

fascinating. The pictures from PNG are not meant as voyeurism but as a tribute to a remarkable people which survives despite the best efforts of greed and corruption to keep them subjected to impoverished circumstances.
I was embarrassed to have to decline an offer of an acquaintance to come and live with me yesterday. It would not be right to create a precedent for the next AVI who comes and as well, I am only renting the University property. I don't know what his normal circumstances of living are but that he sees a wait man as approachable seems interesting in a culture which lives by the rule of wontoks. I wonder who are his wontoks and whose were Simon's wontoks?
I might be a coward and selfish for not being willing to share my accommodation but I can live with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home