outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, October 09, 2006

my bush knife is 52cms

I'm not sure if I said before about the time I took one back to Matt in Lismore. I got out of the airport in Brisbane and couldn't wait to give it to Matthew. they are of different sizes - the big ones for lopping bananas, middle size like mine for all purpose and the 40cm ones for chopping the lids off kulau (coconut juice). Anyway I got Matt a middle sized one like mine which he now uses for carving meat. So I said to Matt inside the terminal, Here, open this. I got it for you. He saw the shape and told me no Dad, if that's a bush knife, not in here. There's terrorism laws. They'll lock us up. That took the sting out my excitement I had for giving him a PNG present. Undeterred I let him drive me back to Lismore - about a 2and half hour trip from Brisbane. We called into the Hilltop hotel to get some beers on reaching Lismore and some clown from a rival Rugby club wanted to have a go at Matt. I thought it was good natured banter so I thought I would add to the banter with a Mr Bean impression. I ran out to the car to get the 50cm bush knife and was about to reenter the pub wielding this mini sword around my head when fortunately Josie, Matt's girl friend cautioned me that a Mr Bean impression at that particular time might not be such a good idea. What do they say? You can knock the man out of the boy but you can't knock the boy out of the man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home