outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, April 20, 2006

what I liked about Dave

Dave asked me if I was going to the yacht club and I told him that I enjoy dialogue and trialogue but not one way conversation where I listen and the listenee does the talking and for that reason I began to avoid it. Dave nodded knowingly and agreed I know what you mean, It's a bit like that isn't it. I think that's why I was affronted the other night when I thought for about the first time I was going to be given the chance to be a listenee and then the bloke turned his attention to this newcomer. It is why Dave and Atul and I found Rotary to be such a good social outlet because there people actually engaged in conversation where there was an exchange of views, experiences and opinions. What do you think about that, That's interesting, tell me more, I'd be interested in your ideas on, I find myself thinking x, how do you deal with that, I'm not sure - I wonder etc. Last night I almost felt like interrupting a one way conversation with something like Excuse me but would you like to know about my experiences? Poor Fr Stanley gets earbashed as well and he is too polite to interrupt and so he was relieved when I was able to interrupt him to get him to check my plans for the parish roll data base. One should feel sorry for the Lord when he has to listen to one way prayers and we don't remain silent to listen for his answer or read his reply in the bible or see his reply in our lives or our relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home