outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I don't know that I

should be writing given the mood I am in at the moment. There are no bosses in the office, an international visitor is here for the purpose of setting up a computer lab and I am collating the results of a survey. My judgement is probably impaired and I might regret something. I feel embarrassed. The visitor is treated discourteously by his not being received appropriately. No wonder Pana will not come back. Mnambe and Kia might lose connection to half of their culture and that is sad but I can understand Pana's way of thinking.
Not only am I upset by this but I wonder whether the rest of the world has gone more stupid in my short six months up here. I hear that US Foreign Minister Rice is talking about the Security Council of the UN as though it has been privatised and bought by the USA? Then another two blokes on Fox News were saying that they should bomb Iran because intelligence was unreliable on Iraq and therefore it follows their intelligence on Iran might also be unreliable and that Iran might already have a nuclear bomb so better to bomb them first and be sure and not worry about intelligence. With genious like that it's no wonder Iraq is worse now than before the invasion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home