outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Back to the point

I got carried away and I forgot what point I was trying to make but it seems to me there is a lot of money at the top of the table and there is not much at the bottom. I pay my haus meri K20 a day. Say she gets that every day of the year - K7000 about. A secretary in an office gets about K5000 pa. The security guard is on about the same but the national income is av K2100. Why is it up to other countries to try to get aid through to the people sitting at the bottom of the table? Why are those at the top of the table not contributing? After all, they are their own countrymen I thought.
I was wondering too that at 57 whether I am too old to be naive. It's quite nice to realise that one doesn't know everything and that there is still something about human nature to be discovered. And not only about human nature. I think my friends thought I was going to PNG with my eyes wide shut and blinded by some Quixotian naivete or idealism. Maybe they were right but am I any the worse off for having had my mobile stolen and for realising the job might collapse in a heap? It has been an experience that I would not otherwise have had. I've met some nice people -Fr Stanley, Peter, Joseph, Vivien, Betty, and lots of others. Hopefully the job will work out and I can stay here to mature it for the next 18 months. I'd like that and it will look good on my CV.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Anastasia Konstantakatou said...

true about the CV part, but the most important is the experience itself things dont always get into the CV but it matters little really

 

Post a Comment

<< Home