outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

David and the tragedy

of Papua New Guinea. We went around to pick up David for Rotary last night - he was to have been inducted with me and on arriving at his house two other friends were loading their car up with David's chattels. He's gone - left Sunday we were told. David, newly appointed Professor had only arrived two months earlier, had got himslef on to the Univ Council, was doing things and getting thigs done, had been to the Univ Council meeting on Thursday last week and now he was gone. I don't know if there was a family trauma which made it difficult but certainly from his professional position the irregularity of the internet made things difficult. Whatever the reason, his loss to the Univ and to PNG cannot be overestimated. He would be up at 3am in order to get a reliable internet connection, he would book into the Lae Inter to get a reliable internet connection and now he has gone.
The theft of my mobile brought about my first problem of being without it. Mum couldn't contact me over the weekend whhile I was in Moresby and I thought I had told her I would be away. Apparently I hadn't told anyone. Maybe I had told my blog and not my email or phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home