outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, April 06, 2006

I finally told my haus meri

that she worked for me under my terms or she could look for amother position. When she came this morning she started again about leaving the used beer cans for her and I told her it was my decision that Peter will have them and supos yu no laikim then yu ask narapela man for haus wok. I then told her that when my time here was ended there would be no two weeks pay for each year worked and if she didn't like that she could leave. The morning after the previous AVI had left she came to me with a sorry face telling me she was tumas no hamamas - she had expected a cash going away present. I knew nothing about the "going away" present but one long term expat told me about the week pay for each year worked, another told me he hadn't heard of it. I told her that at K20 per day for two days a week that she was better paid than other haus meris - I had checked and most were on K10 - K15 a day. Volunteer wages are equivalent to nationals wages and they can't afford haus meris which is why they look to ex pats for work. My being a wait man stands me out as an expat but it does not distinguish me as a volunteer. Thursdays, after her having worked Tuesday, has only two days of clothes and dishes to do plus cleaning. I was thinking of sacking her but it is convenient to come home to a clean and tidy place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home