outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, April 03, 2006

funerals are not simple

Concerning Simon who died last week, the kind ex-pat who knows about him on account he let him live on his premises write today: "I have been in contact with one of Simon's younger brothers. He works at OK Tedi. He also has a brother that lives in Mt. Hagen, another brother lives in Goroka, and a sister lives in Mendi.The brother in OK Tedi is the only one who is working, so is having trouble finding the money necessary to get Simon's body sent to Tari for burial. (There was another funeral two weeks ago; a nephew living in Port Moresby died.) I told him we could bury the body here for K100, but he told me there is no way the family would want him to be buried outside their home area.We checked with Air Niugini about cargo costs. It will cost about K1800 for the paperwork and the air freight costs to fly the body to Tari. In addition to that there is the cost of the coffin, and the cost of the airfare for someone to accompany the body. They are probably looking at the least K3,000. The president of the NCSA has suggested that I ask the UNITECH community for donations. So, I am now doing that. If you want to donate, give the money to me or to one of the secretaries in the Business Studies Department, if I am not in my office.I would also like someone who has been in charge of shipping a body before to come forward and teach me what I have to do." What can you say about the kindness of some people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home