outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, March 30, 2006

what do you value?

Ch9 tonight is to do an "expose" about doctors on wages of $4000 a day. Big deal. So where is the story in that? That's only $1.5m a year assuming they work Christmas Day, Good Friday , Anzac Day and every other day. Most Chief Executives are on more than this but I would not trust them to do a heart transplant on me. What do we value most - our shares or our life and health? So think about whether you have a story Ch9.
Having said that about my Australian values, PNG needs to think about its values. Simon who died asde used to get some sort of work off most of the wait men. They were his wontoks. I was fairly mean having bought the occasional few lemons from him and paid him to wash my louvres once only I think and a sandwich, packet of biscuits, cup of coffee. So PNG which holds up wontokism as the basis of its social security scheme and something to be proud of let Simon down. I didn't do much to help but in my five months here I gave him more than most of his countrymen.
No wonder there is frustration - "Our Telikom Internet Data line has been experiencing outages today. Our line is now down as off 2pm today and will be down indefinitely.This is a Telikom problem and this issue has been brought to the attention of Telikom. Apologies for any inconveniences caused". Not my words but from the ITS (Internet Services) at Unitech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home