outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, March 27, 2006

you trust people

I remember my first day in Moresby exactly five months ago now (24th Oct) - and I was carrying my mobile in a clip on pouch on the neck of my tee shirt and we went for lunch in Boroko when a kind lady excused herself and said put your phone in your pocket. Since then I have been too trusting. A tu pinga nearly got my wallet just before Christmas as I was getting the PMV at Unigate: I was holding the doors to get on and I felt the tug on my pocket and was quick enough to snap my hand back to protect my wallet. We might laugh at thieving magpies and monkeys but I'm a volunteer trying to do some good work in capacity building to help the country and its people and people are not monkeys or magpies. I know there are thieves back in Australia too but I had come to have a higher regard for the PNGns because generally they have been very kind and supportive to this stranger in their land but the breakdown in the trust by the thieves and their laughing about it like common bullies has soured me. I'd been singing about the country and its people and while there is still something to sing about it's no longer the joyous song of innocense and belief and trust. Thanks for nothing you thieving %$#@ low life. Son Matt told me asde about PNGn highland Prince at Southern Cross Univ on finding out about stolen phone. The Prince called over his mate Albert in the PNG army - "Don't worry tell your dad. I have killed 58 men with my bare hands. I will get it back." Oh dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home