outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, March 24, 2006

capacity building

PNG's finance Minister Philemon asde in the National spoke to the Press Club in Canberra about "the living conditions of many PNGns had not improved in 30 years" and about "the strangled economy and stagnant human development". As an AVIer I am here to try to help the human development aspect of the problems and I get frustrated particularly as I compared last time with people who have fewer physical resources. So many as I have said before like Fr Stanley and Peter and Betti and my wonwoks and many I see in Church abound in humanity and I can't understand why this is not spread further. It's a political problem of trying to raise the capacity of the people resource to match the capacity of the physical resources which abound. Most sports coaches and teachers get their charges to think positively: "You can do it" they are told. But Ron Barassi put one player in a losing team on the bench for getting drunk on the night before an important game. "But I was the best player on the side" he protested. "Yes but you didn't do your best which you could have done if you hadn't got drunk last night. Stay on the bench!" If I do my best, that might not translate into a team best. That's the frustration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home