outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, March 23, 2006

to be frustrated or happy

I am in two minds about how I feel about having my mobile phone pick pocketed asde avinun at the main bus stop long town. What was important to me was the response of my colleagues at wok when I got back - they rang my number and talked to the bastards and called B mobile for me to cancel the phone. I knew there were thieving fcs before I came here and we were warned about not letting down our security watchfulness so for the sake of K12 credit on my phone (about $A5) which has a screen which needs to be replaced and I have the recharger for a Sony Ericson which is not a regular brand here, I've escaped fairly lightly. Of course I'm angry at my carelessness and with the low lifes who give the regular PNGns a bad name. At the bus stop I was looking for the Eriku bus and as I was about to climb on one guy held my shoulder saying hey good to see you bro and the other guy took my phone. People saw it happen but are too frightened to say anything. The motto of the RSL is that for evil to win the good need only remain silent. A friend of a blogger and fellow AVI mate told him Geoff should get off his soap box. I appreciate his having read my blog. I generally read the letters pages of the paper before other sections because in a democracy there are opinions which make you frustrated or angry or supportive but while people have the courage to speak out evil in whatever form from the right or left or criminal knows it is not wanted. The Thais are speaking out against Thaksin and if the Iraqis had done so before Saddam they would not now be in this civil war (probably?). The poor bloody Palestinians - what else can they do against the Israelis? I would have thought that after the Jewish Israelis were persecuted by the Europeans and gassed by the Nazis that they of all people would treat others as human beings. Instead they are treating the P'stinians in the way leading up the final solution. When is the world going to speak out about what is starting to look like a re-run of the 1930s-40s? I know my blog isn't read by too many - it's a diary of my thoughts made public but if I want to do something I would need to get a more public soap box. It relieves my frustration but someone else might have to be the voice of public justice of what the right thinking man believes to be ethical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home