outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, March 17, 2006

the LAE market

I finally got to the LAE market today. I had been to Gordons in Waigani (Pt Moresby) and the 4 mile at Madang and the Sogiri and market out the back of the Univ but this was the first time in the big LAE market. Goods are mostly displayed on nylon bags on the ground and some of the market holders are under shelter, others are out in the sun and some put an umbrella up. They spray their produce to keep them fresk looking. I bought two sprays of sugar fruit (like passionfruit) ten olgeta for 2 kina, some carrots for 50 toya, a avocado for 40 toya and two cucumbers for 1 Kina. Sellers sit on the ground and a market unit consists of one nylon bag in area. I don't know what fees they pay to sell here. On the way out there was a pig carcass in various portions - I could discern a jaw and I am not sure what else. There was one other wait lady and I was the only wait man and there would have been at least 2thousand people - its sort of the shopping centre like Centrepoint arcade and that type of thing in the big provincial towns and cities in Australia.
Good news on the work side: Acting HOD and I meet with Pro VC again on Monday to discuss further my ideas and he has instructed the Teaching and Learning Unit to schedule me in for some presentations to the Academic departments and the Prof himself will take up the matter with his HODs and i think possibly senior management. My abstract has been accepted for the Pt Moresby UPNG distance learning seminar which I am pleased about so i now must start to refine my ideas and get them into presentation form.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home