outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

twice in the last week

I have been woken up about 5am with the sound of a mozzie in my ear. I haven't been eating as much pawpaw lately so maybe I've lost the pawpaw smell out of my system. At least so they tell me eating pawpaw keeps malaria away. Work is getting to crunch time as I have run out of things to do as scheduled in my contract. University has not made enabling policy to allow me to develop enrichment courses and undergraduate courses so I am left with nothing to do now except try to redevelop the Adult Matriculation Course for English. We are working with a photocopier that might have been good a couple years ago and for which we paid K35000 lease fees last year and another major problem is not having a typist and graphic designer to present the courses in attractive form. We have examples of what Divine Word and UPNG have done and it ought to make this University respond which is why my title page showed an empty set of what Unitech had develop in comparison with UPNG and Divine Word. I worry about Depression if my Uni can't get its problems sorted out because I can be doing something constructive elsewhere if I can't be used properly here. As if everyone has time to waste while the politics is played out. Patience, patience patience -it's never been my virtue. I thought using big words and complicated jargon that was confined to the school system in NSW. Twelve years it has been trying and still there is no course at undergraduate level for study by distance means. Being an expat and a volunteer one at that I can't make mozzie noises so I just have to buzz my frustrations here. What was that word again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home