outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, March 13, 2006

my weekend

This doesn't sound like a very exciting blog but having been away from home for the previous two sareres and with this sarere having been wet, I had a lovely time at home and just being with friends. My friends Atul and Sikha took me in to town to do shopping on sarere and I was able to do a big shop which is otherwise difficult on account of having to squeeze onto the PMV with my groceries as well. They took me to a Pay less stoa in Eriku where I bought the biggest tea cup with very colourful Ken Done like coloration. I've been drinking tea out of it nearly all weekend. I also got a different shampoo which seems better, an apple scented one. The humidity here makes my hair go greasy I think so two in ones make my hair feel too uncomfortable. I also got three loaves of bread which I was able to get home in an unsquashed condition and planti of tins of baked beans/spaghetti/sweet corn which normally make my grocery shopping too heavy. After shopping Sikha made us deli sandwiches - I hadn't eaten them since early in my stay here when I must have brought some out of date salami give me a bad belly ache so I feel confident in buying deli products again. I'd bought some cheese on spesol some weeks ago and when I got home Sikha na Atul pointed out the use by date had been passed - no wonder it had gone mildewed which I hadn't notivced at the time. Spent the rest of the day rereading Camus' L'etranger. I have to consider whether Meursault is "un charactere vraisemblable". I think he is but I wonder about those around him. His mother (ma mere) I've forgotten how to do the accents on the computer represents his biological birth and he always addresses her as maman (mummy) and so he is not the heartless charcter that the prosecution wants us to believe.
I went to lotu (church) long town asde. The con man was there again and he caught the same bus home as far as Eriku. I hope he's not stalking me. Oh dear, am I getting paranoid or what? Take time to smell the roses and look at the beautifully loved bibles of the congregation - so tatty and dog eared, palm sweat-greased but so lovingly read to know the mind of God and the responses of other people to him. I felt sorry at communion for this poor little 5 year girl who went up for the blessing and other people out of kindness left space around her for her family but they had gone to another part of the communion and so she was embarrassingly left with space around her as though she had a disease. Her mother told me what had happened after church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home