outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Sunday, March 05, 2006

telling the truth

If a pig wanted to have all the noble qualities and prestige of a Bengal Tiger (my favourite animal), he would still be a pig because that is his nature. Likewise, dishonest people would like have qualities that attach to honest people - respect, integrity, prestige, but their behaviour gives them away in the same way that lying down in the mud gives the pig away so that you do not mistake him for a Bengal Tiger. The con man was hanging around Church again today but as I wrote elsewhere, there are other sophisticated conmen closer to home. Telling the truth and calling a pig a pig and a dishonest man a dishonest man should not be a problem. I was angry that such blatant disrespect for honesty and integrity would be condoned and expected to be accepted as standard behaviour. What is more ugly? I was standing waiting for an hour for buses this morning amidst squashed litter, red buai spittle, one huge greeny, trampled buai shells and the crush of people waiting to get on a bus. At the same time, going around in my head was the idea that I should not say anything about the corruption and ignore the facts of dishonesty. Physical ugliness is easier to accept than moral ugliness - I can turn a blind eye to moral ugliness but I get guilty that I am a moral coward for saying nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home