outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, February 27, 2006

the library notice

Tok Save is Tok Pisin for Notice and I had to smile as I read this one in the Library just now. Most Libraries have notices all around about No Talking, Silence, Quiet. So to see a Tok Save in the Library which mentions nothing about noise but instead has three tambus: No Buai; No Smoking; No Alcohol. I was reminded of the time I went to get a Reader's Licence for the main Bodleian Library in Oxford. I had to put on an academic gown and to read out an oath, part of which mentioned that I would not carry thereinto any flame or torch or candle nor would I cause to light therein any flame or torch or candle.

We had one blackout for about 90minutes this morning and it is very humid outside as I discovered when I went to the Library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home