outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, March 06, 2006

moral uncomfortability

I was warned about being confronted by distressing situations that reacted against our cultural sensitivities and up until now I thought the sorry plight of the dogs was the only ugly thing (morally) that I needed to be concerned about. I spoke with several moral wontoks this morning and asde and I will try to talk with AVI on a secure line tonight.
I feel guilty and powerless to act and as a concerned wontok said to me, "You do your job, talk to me and the others whom you trust in order to get it off your chest but as for changing anything, the change has got to come from the nationals."
Here was me trying to be the Che Guevara of PNG. He's right of course. My job is important in the long run because hopefully it will put in place the circumstances that will educate more PNG nationals to tertiary level. Nevertheless, I am still trying to explore the philosophical problem of whether there is a Melanesian model of intelligence that can be known only through thinking Melanesianally and if so would better bring about the change that is needed. The clever ones among the nationals have brought the western model of intelligence and systematised it to their advantage but I am trying to think about a model of intelligence that the moral nationals can become aware of so that they can effect change in a distinctively Melanesian way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home