outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, March 10, 2006

correction

My family read my blog asde and said I should correct the impression it gave that the Cabinet and PM knew anything about the "waved to" programme. The Public Service is responsible for this programme apparently and not the government. The government knows nothing about it.
I did hear myself though that the government is to begin an enquiry about whether Australian troops are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. The PM didn't know anything about it. "I mean," he chuckled, "I get hundreds of cables a day across my desk. Our troops might be there, but do you really expect me to know where our Generals station all their troops? Be realistic."
At the same press conference he was asked about his trip to India whereupon he denied knowing anything about it. "India? Why on earth would I have been in India? There's no cricket on. We're playing in South Africa. Don't know anything about that one," he said.
"Well could you ask around or do an enquiry to find out?" he was asked.
"Enquiry? We're always doing enquiries. Our pollsters will enquire and if public opinion is happy that I was in India, then I 'll be happy to tell them I was in India. It's part of my ongoing dialogue with the Australia people. Thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home