outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, March 16, 2006

university and/or me

I have to expect there will be down times (mood that is) and that is why I love to be busy as it gives me a sense of achievement and therfore nothing to get bored about. But this is as much about what my University can to be doing as it is about me. I've got skills and we ought to be using them. John is very good value, is very understanding and a gentleman. He is one of these genuinely caring types of person, honest and concerned about the students. And about me. He keeps reminding me - while you are here, you are my concern.
Having arrived here, I just wonder whether the power brokers are reluctant to have their power and organisation scrutinised by using me in a management and advisory situation. They've got to do something though because the mission direction is all too obviously not obvious. Divine Word and UPNG are testimony to that. I want to help but I worry whether my offer of help might be insulting - as when help was offered to India after the tsunami - we are capable of helping ourselves, but thank you.
To cheer me up I recall how Crassus was wiped out by the Parthians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home