outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

simon the gardener

I got this on my email and if my worries about a stolen phone amount to anything they are put into negative perspective by this story. Last Sarere he called out to me, "Ullooo it's Simown" and I tersely turned him away telling him my phone had been stolen and I was in no mood to be bothered.
"Simon, the gardener with the peg leg, died last night. On Sunday he was sick with what looked like malaria, so my wife gave him some Chinese malaria medicine. On Monday morning he was sicker, so she took him to the Uni clinic. He was given an injection. On Tuesday (yesterday) he was sicker still, so she took him to the clinic again. The nurse decided he should be taken to Angau. They took him to the hospital by ambulance. This morning my wife called the hospital to see how he was doing and was told that he had died during the night. Does anyone know if he has wantoks in the area? We are going to pay the fee to put him in the morgue for a week, but if no wantoks are found in the area, we will have him buried at the end of week. We do not know where his home area is".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home