outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I have smelt that smell

I remember now where I have smelt that smell - the smell of rotting buai husks and red spittle made sodden from heavy rain the last few nights. It is in dairies with cows standing around squashing manure and urine into the mud. But this smell was in top town Lae. It is why they mostly burn the filth.
I quote what is in the public domain in the Annual report 2002 on the U by the AG: "I was unable to satisfy myself as to the existence, location, identification, and authenticity of these assets carrying an amount of K61 903 791.00; I was unable to satisfy myself as to the accuracy of the bank reconciliation statements...which contain unreconciled differences of K120 929.05 and K471 111.48; The U did not comply with International Accounting Standards1: Presentation of Financial Statements; The U did not have a Financial Procedures Manual."
People raise the right issues but they just deflate like a week old celebratory balloon. The Post Courier Mon27 Mar carried the feature article "Who is to be accountable?" about the Public Accounts committee. "The PAC barely existed during the 1990s but has reinvigorated during the term of this Parliament" A group called Transparency International PNG is behind this accountability movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home