outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

nothing should astonish me

I had some more blogging problems asde avinun about what I wanted to say about Simon's funeral. It should not astonish me that the altruistic kindness of the dear saint who took the trouble to be concerned and compassionate when wontokism is supposed to do this job is sort of being expected to do more than he has already done. If I was in a bad mood this morning it was made worse when my hausmeri saw there were no beer cans and when I told her I gave them to Peter she told me she wanted them. I bit my tongue to stop me from saying I'll do what I like; besides Peter is on K12 a day compared with what I pay her - K20 a day two days a week. My patience is being tested as we were warned it would be. When a bloke in the shop the other day pulled me aside to ask for K2 for a bus I told him any spare money was going towards a new phone that one of his %&*# countrymen had stolen from me. On top of that another mate told me the feeling around campus was that the externalisation of Univ courses was a pipe dream. They've been trying for ten years working with a particular model that centres on a Department and I think I have turned the thinking around to centre it on the university. If the VC gives leadership on the issue well its the same with anything. Without leadership anything is a pipedream. I'm not even a Lance Corporal being a humble volunteer so I can't make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home