outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I even felt useful

this morning when David, one of the builders asked me if I was busy. I have a license to drive the Univ vehicle so I took him and Samson along with a load of timber back to the workshop. On the way David pointed out to me another of the buildings which he had built. Both David and Samson are the most unassuming and modest blokes but they have a wealth of world experiences. I forget how many languages Samson speaks but he's spent about 6 years in Japan and here they both are working as carpenters. They do everything by eye and cut timber not with a preset saw bench but a hand saw. They made the desk at which I am now sitting and the angle joints you could not get a cigarette paper into anywhere.
Patch came up to the workplace as she normally does and I lifted her onto the back of the truck to come for the ride to the workshop. Roger is away and he's the main custodian of this hand-me-on-when-you-leave pet dog. He drives a red Suzuki and our Dept truck is red. So I was imagining her confusion when I lifted her into the tray and when I was driving around with the wind brushing against her face. This man sort of looks different to Roger (who has a beard). This red car sort of looks different and I've never had to be lifted into it and why is it I can feel the wind? May be there are some things a dog is not meant to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home