outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, April 13, 2006

what a difference

a year makes. At Easter last year I was in Bourke, western NSW. The Tuesday of Holy week we went to Dubbo for the renewal of Priestly vows and calling and for blessing of Holy Oils. I was teaching French part time at Cornerstone and they liked cooking so as a "treat" I bought some Tasmanian scallops there and took them to class the next day back in Bourke and passed them off to the students as snails, a recipe for cooking of which I had done in French and which they had to work out to enable them to crumb and fry. On the Good Friday we had church at Holy Innocents and I waited for cousin Stuart and lady friend Cynthia from church in Enmore to visit me for the weekend. Easter day we got up and went to the sunrise service at the Busters and ate pancakes before going back in to town for our own church service. From the dry sandy red earth at the back o' Bourke to the strangling geen jungle in Lae. Now there's a contrast.
As for work here, I calculate I have about 9 hours of presentations to do over the next month and without policies in place, that is all I have to do for the next 18 months of my contract. I've told AVI I will go back to Australia next weekend for 10 -14 days and I will stay there until such time as my employer gets me something constructive to do. These are educated people with Masters degrees we are talking about and either the University wants Externalisation or it doesn't. Already one Professor left this week. People have better things to do with their lives than being mucked around. There are plenty other people who want to be helped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home